Sixty Dome Mosque (Shat Gombuj Mashjid) is one of the auspicious and largest mosque of Sultanate period in Bangladesh. It has been mentioned as the most impressive muslim monuments of the Indian subcontinent in the whole world. It is situated in the southern portion of Bangladesh in Bagerhat district under Khulna division. The mosque is about 3 miles away from the main town of Bagerhat and nearly about 200 miles from Dhaka city.
A Sufi Saint and Turkish General named Khan Al-Azam Ulugh Khan Jahan conquered the greater part of southern Bengal and named the city Khalifabad in honour of the then reigning Sultan Nasiruddin Mahmud Shah in the mid of 15th century. Khan Jahan Ali was the earlier torch bearer of Islam in that portion. Khan Jahan Ali was renowned not only for his Administrative and building capability but also as a Pir (a saintly personality). The construction of the mosque was started in 1422 and completed in 1459. The mosque was used for prayer purposes and also as madrasha and assembly hall.
The magnificent mosque has 77 squad domes over the main hall where there are 7 Chauchala or four sided pitched Bengali domes in the middle row . The enormous mosque has 11 arched doorways on the east and 7 each on north and south for light and ventilation. Inside the prayer hall there are exactly 60 stone pillars. The western wall of the mosque is decorated by stonework and terracotta and flooring by excellent brickwork.
In 1983 UNESCO has declared the Sixty Dome Mosque as World Heritage Site. Sixty Dome Mosque is a superb archaeological beauty that bears the signature of art of the 15th century.